“Thanks to Edison Scholars, I'm going to a top university. It's an opportunity I never thought I'd have."
– Jasmine Esparza, age 18
College Scholarships for Students in Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM)
Through our signature scholarship program, Edison Scholars, we have awarded almost $4 million in scholarships to 460 students since 2006. This year, we awarded $1.2 million in scholarships to 30 high school seniors who plan to pursue college studies in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields. Each scholarship is valued at $40,000 and is payable over four years.
Higher education is a transformative tool that fuels the future.
About Edison Scholars
Edison Scholars is designed to help minority, low-income and under-represented students in Southern California pay for college studies in STEM fields, helping them develop skills and knowledge they need to thrive in the workforce of the future. As Edison Scholars, the students may also be eligible for summer internships at Edison and can get paired with professionals at our companies for mentoring and guidance throughout the students' years on campus.
Meet the 2014 Edison Scholars
For most of these young people, learning that they won the $40,000 scholarship was one of the most excting events of their lives, and the start of a new journey toward achievement and success.
- Evelyn Batz, San Gorgonio High School, San Bernardino, Calif.
- Javier Cuan-Martinez, Great Oak High School, Temecula, Calif.
- Brenden Dickerson, John Muir High School, Pasadena, Calif.
- Trevor Esparza, Saddleback Christian Academy, Mission Viejo, Calif.
- Berenice Estrada, Los Angeles Center for Enriched Studies, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Javier Evangelista, Roosevelt High School, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Melissa Fiacco, Moorpark High School, Moorpark, Calif.
- Edwin Gonzalez, Carson High School, Carson, Calif.
- Tony Hua, South El Monte High School, South El Monte, Calif.
- Sydney Johnson, Los Osos High School, Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
- Craig Kampen, Central Valley Christian School, Visalia, Calif.
- Hyun Sik Kim, North High School, Torrance, Calif.
- Joon Lee, Beckman High School, Irvine, Calif.
- Alec Lenamond, Citrus Valley High School Redlands, Calif.
- Gabriela Lomeli, Knight High School, Palmdale, Calif.
- Jestin Ma, San Gabriel High School, San Gabriel, Calif.
- Rachel Miller, Valencia High School, Valencia, Calif.
- Emily Moreno, La Habra High School, La Habra, Calif.
- Alberto Nanez, South Gate High School, South Gate, Calif.
- Eduardo Orozco, City Honors High School, Inglewood, Calif.
- Kyanne Parchment, Kaiser High School, West Covina, Calif.
- Lee Puckett, Polytechnic High School, Long Beach, Calif.
- Clarice Pumerantz, Claremont High School, Claremont, Calif.
- Adam Russell, Mater Dei High School, Santa Ana, Calif.
- Camille Schlesinger, Chino Hills High School, Chino Hills, Calif.
- Ha Youn Shin, Irvine High School, Irvine, Calif.
- Kevin Tse, Keppel High School, Alhambra, Calif.
- Diana Valenzuela, McFarland High School, McFarland, Calif.
- Joshua Villalobos, Gabrielino High School, San Gabriel, Calif.
- Michelle Ziko, Leuzinger High School, Hawthorne, Calif.