Edison International Privacy Notice
The Edison International Privacy Notice was updated on November 10, 2016.
Protection of you information is important to Edison International (EIX) and we want you to know how we collect, use, share, and store your information that we receive as a result of our interactions with you, either through your computer or mobile device. These interactions include interactions through: (a) www.Edison.com and the other websites operated by us from which you are accessing this Privacy Notice (the "Websites"); (b) our social media pages that we control from which you are accessing this Privacy Notice (collectively, our "Social Media Pages") and (c) HTML-formatted email messages that we send to you that link to this Privacy Notice (the "Emails"). Collectively, the Websites, our Social Media Pages, the Emails are considered the “Services”.
Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with our Privacy Notice and feel free to contact us in the manner described in the below Contact Us section.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you visit our website there are different types of information we may collect:
1. Aggregated Non-Personal Information.
We collect certain non-personal information automatically through use of technology as you navigate and use our website. “Non-Personal Information” means information that does not uniquely identify an individual or groups of individuals. This type of information includes IP address, browser type, device type, operating system, page views, referring URLs, destination URLs, dates and times of site visits, and other information collected primarily for statistical purposes. This Non-Personal Information is maintained by us in the aggregate, so we do not know the identity of any particular user or groups of users.
In order to improve your experience with our Services, and regardless of your browser’s “Do Not Track” setting we may collect information on:
- The number of users that use our website;
- The number of users that access our website via a mobile device;
- How users navigate through our website;
- Which Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are being used to access our website; and
- Which Internet browsers are being used to access our website.
2. Personal Information You Voluntarily Provide.
We define Personal Information as any information used alone or combined with other information that can uniquely identify, contact, or locate an individual or groups of individuals.
This includes a first name or initial and last name, home or other physical address, including street, city, email address, telephone number, and any other identifier that permits the physical or online contacting of a specific individual; or information concerning a user that the website or online service collects and maintains in personally identifiable form in combination with an identifier previously described.
We do not automatically collect Personal Information through your access or use of our website unless you voluntarily provide it to us. However, you must provide Personal Information to participate in the following programs.
- Applying for community funding and donation programs, including college scholarships, which we will use your Personal Information to evaluate program eligibility and awards, and contact you about our decision.
- Signing up for certain services on our website, such as events, email alerts, or requests for information, which will be used to fulfill your request.
- Submitting job applicant information for positions, or if chosen as a successful job candidate, providing additional information about yourself for us to perform an employment background check and sign up for payroll direct deposit. Click here for more information regarding how information is collected and used when using our Careers page.
At any time, you may opt out of providing us with any such Personal Information by not providing it to us, or by discontinuing your use of our website.
3. Information Collected by Cookies, Web Beacons, and Other Technologies.
What is a Cookie?
A “cookie” is a small bit of record-keeping information websites often stored on a user's computer. Our cookies do not collect Personal Information and are typically used to quickly identify your computer or mobile device to “remember” you. You may disable cookies or set your Internet browser to alert you when cookies are being sent to your computer’s browser or mobile device; however, disabling cookies may affect your ability to use certain features on our website.
What Are Web Beacons, Action Tags, Pixel Tags and Clear GIFs?
- Interest-Based Communications - Our website pages may contain pixels allowing us to display interest-based communications on third-party websites and mobile applications, including social media sites such as Facebook or Twitter.
To find out more about these types of communications and ways to opt-out with participating companies who have enabled interest-based communications, consult with the Digital Advertising Alliance, http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
- Measuring Interactions - Emails, digital ads displayed on third-party websites, social media messages, and other electronic communications we send to you may contain pixel tags enabling us to track your usage of an electronic communication, including whether you opened the communication or followed a link in such communication (if any).
TARGETED COMMUNICATIONS ON SOCIAL MEDIA SITES
We use social media sites like Facebook and Twitter to communicate with you about our programs and services. You can follow us on these social media sites to receive regular updates. These social media sites also allow us to target ads to you using the personal information they maintain about you, even if you do not specifically follow us on their site. We may target ads to you using information such as cookies, pixels, zip codes, and interests. We may also target communications to you using personal information we maintain, such as your email address or phone number.
You will only see our targeted ads if you agreed to receive this type of communication through your social media provider. You may be able to disable some or all of the advertising targeted to you on a social media site by adjusting your privacy settings on their site.
USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA AND OTHER PUBLIC FORUMS
Information you post to a public forum, such as a blog, forum, chat room, or wiki, is available to all users accessing these sites. Any information you share is available to any user and may be read, collected, or used by other people for any purpose, including sending you unsolicited information.
We are not responsible for any information you provide to other individuals or post on these websites. To protect your information from potential misuse, we recommend never sharing your Personal Information with anyone who you do not trust.
LINKED WEBSITES AND ONLINE WEB SERVICES
Our website contains links to other websites, including social media sites, and icons to launch online web services. These websites may place a cookie on your computer, enabling that site to recognize users who may have visited our site. Your use of any third party site or web service may result in the collection or sharing of information about you, depending on the third party’s site or web service. We do not control those third party sites or web services, or their privacy practices, which may differ from our practices. We also do not endorse or make any representations about third party sites or web services.
The Non-Personal and Personal Information you provide to share or is collected from you by such third parties is not covered by this Notice. We encourage you to review the privacy notices and settings on these third party sites and services with which you interact to understand how your information is collected, used, and shared by those third parties.
CALIFORNIA “DO NOT TRACK” DISCLOSURES
Most browsers are programed to accept cookies or other similar technology to collect Non-Personal Information. You may set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, providing you the opportunity to accept or decline it. Declining a cookie, or similar technology, may affect your ability to use certain features on our website. You may stop accepting cookies from a particular website, or by changing your browser’s settings, which are usually found in the ‘options’ or ‘preferences’ menu. You may also visit AboutCookies.org for instructions, by browser type, regarding how to control cookies settings within your browser.
We do not collect Personal Information about your browsing habits over time and across third-party websites or online services. However, our website contains links and icons to other websites, including social media sites, and we do not control their collection or sharing of information about you. Refer to the above Linked Websites and Online Web Services section for more information.
DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES
Except as outlined above, we do not disclose your Personal Information to third parties without your prior written consent, except in the following circumstances:
- We are required by law, such as to comply with a warrant, subpoena, or similar legal process;
- We believe in good faith disclosure is necessary to law enforcement or the United States’ Government, to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to the request of a governmental agency;
- Ordered by state or federal governmental agencies with jurisdiction over us, when legally entitled to such information; or
- The third parties we contract with to provide company-related services such as recruiting job applicants, scholarship or award opportunities, signing up for certain news or events, or sending or responding to an email on our behalf. These contracted third parties do not use or disclose the information for any purpose not consistent with this Privacy Notice.
HOW YOU CAN MANAGE AND CONTROL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We offer certain choices about how we communicate with you and what Personal Information we obtain. You may limit, or opt-out of, the information you provide to us.
- If you have signed up to receive emails from us, you can opt out at any time by clicking on the link at the bottom of the email in order to unsubscribe from future mailings or by updating your communication preferences within the Investor Relations page.
- To learn more about ways to limit, or opt-out of, the collection and sharing of your information use one of the contact methods listed in the below Contact Us section.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
When applying for community funding and donation programs, including college scholarships, we will maintain copies of information about you, including Personal Information and information used to make a decision, for three years.
Email communication gives us another convenient method to communicate with the public, including responding to your inquiries. By sending us an email, we will consider your email as consent for us to reply to you via email.
You will receive emails from us (or our authorized third party fulfilling agent) if you have signed up to receive email notifications for services such as job openings, scholarship or award opportunities, certain news or events, or if you have requested certain information. You can opt-out of receiving these emails by disabling your saved job search, clicking on the link at the bottom of the email in order to unsubscribe from future mailings, or by contacting us in the manner described in the Contact Us section.
We do not, however, control the information you provide to us from your email account. Email messages sent directly from your email account are not confidential and secure. We are not liable for any use, disclosure, or modification of such messages. As a result, please do not submit any Personal Information or other information that you deem to be confidential or sensitive via email.
Although our website provides educational information on safety issues and scholarship opportunities, we do not knowingly solicit any information from or market to children under the age of 13. If you are a parent or legal guardian who discovers your child provided us with information without your consent, you may contact us in the manner described in the Contact Us section. If you discover we collected any Personal Information from a child under the age of 13, we will immediately remove that information.
We share your concerns regarding the safeguarding of your Personal Information. Edison complies with applicable privacy and security laws and generally-accepted information security standards to maintain reasonable safeguards assuring the security, integrity, and privacy of your Personal Information in our possession. The Personal Information provided to or collected by us through your use of our website is stored in secure operating environments not available to the public.
This website is controlled and operated by us from the State of California, in the United States, and operation of this website is not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any other states, country or territory. Your use of our website will indicate your acceptance and consent to the terms in this Notice.
ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS IN THIS NOTICE
We may change the terms in this Notice. Any changes made to the Notice will be posted on our website as soon as reasonably possible. We recommend you periodically review this Notice to find out if any changes have been made since your last visit to our website. Any changes made to the Notice will be effective as of the date at the beginning of this Notice. Your use of our website will indicate your acceptance and consent to the terms in the Notice then in effect.